Published On: Thu, Jun 21st, 2012

Bullied Bus Monitor Grandma, Karen Klein, Reacts to Bullying Video (Interviews)

Karen Klein, a 69-year-old bus monitor for the Greece School District in Greece, New York became an internet sensation when her bullying video went viral.

Klein was a bus driver for 20 years and has worked as a bus monitor in the district for the last three years. The students called her “an elephant,’’ and said they would egg her house, among other unprintable slurs and comments.

She first saw the video Wednesday morning. Klein is hearing-impaired and did not hear all of the taunts on Monday before watching the video.

On Wednesday, Greece Central (N.Y.) School District officials contacted police  after seeing the video, and students believed to have been involved have been questioned by school and police officials.

Karen Klein Interview With Fox and Friends
Image Credit: Fox News

Karen Klein first appeared in an interview with Jamie Germano of Rochester Democrat and Chronicle regarding the bullying and harassing incident which happened on Bus 784 on their way home from Athena Middle School in Greece, New York.

“I was in the back of the bus like I usually I’m. Just sitting there minding my own business. And trying to keep my eye on… making sure no one is jumping around and you know yelling. But for some reason, they just started in with this garbage… And I sit there and I took it ’til they got off the bus. And I thought, it’s done! It’s over,” Karen Klein narrated her experience.

In one instance, Karen was asked if she would like to have an apology from the students and how would she like that to happen.

“Yes! They could even write me letters. That would be ok. I don’t know if I want to see them face to face… again,” she replied.

Below is Karen Klein’s interview with Rochester Democrat and Chronicle:

On Thursday, Karen Klein appeared on news TV and was interviewed in MSNBC’s Today.

“I want the boys punished, but I don’t know how. It made me feel really terrible, but I will get over it. I’ve gotten over everything else,” Karen Klein told Matt Lauer on TODAY.

“There were more times than I thought when they were picking on me…because I wore hearing aids. They just could be really nasty,’’ she added.

During the interview, Klein spoke directly to the parents of the children.

“I’m sorry that your sons acted the way they did. I’m sure they don’t act that way at home, but you never know what they’re going to do when they’re out of the house. They should’ve been taught to respect their elders no matter who it is,” Karen Klein said.

Below is Karen Klein’s interview with MSNBC’s Today:

In another interview with Fox and Friends on Thursday, Karen Klein was asked why did she just sit and remained calm despite the words thrown to her by the kids.

“I don’t like confrontations like that. I don’t want to do anything to hurt anybody. That wouldn’t have looked good either. You know, I probably would have been fired eventually if I have done anything violent. So I just restrained myself and pretend that they weren’t doing this,” Karen replied.

At one point, Karen was asked about her reaction on the overwhelming support that various people all over the world gave her, particularly the donations pledged for her vacation which currently amounts to $215,000 from more than 10,000 people worldwide.

“Oh my God! It’s unbelievable! I just don’t.. It’s wonderful. I would like to thank all these people… I just want to make a general statement. Thank you everybody so much for your support. I really appreciate it. And it’s not just money. It’s the people themselves that I appreciate,” she replied.

Below is a part of Karen Klein’s interview with Fox and Friends:

About the Author

- is an Interaction Designer with over 12 years experience building and designing websites, games and applications for clients ranging from small startups to multi-billion dollar companies. He's now a co-founder of several start-ups yet to be known in the world of social media.

This article is filed under:

Displaying 21 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. Almost made me cry to see how that sweet lady was treated by those boys. Kids learn to act that way because their parents have taught them not to respect their elders or anybody else for that matter. Those children are horrible monsters that need to have some kind of punishment. I only hope their karma catches up with them.

• JP says:

I’m with ya on that, Patricia. It’s just insane how stuff like this I would never have imagined as something that could or would happen when I was growing up. I was ALWAYS taught to respect my elders. Those kids are punks and I hope people give them crap for it for the rest of their lives… or until they truly understand what they’ve done wrong.

2. It was like a pack of wolves taking down an innocent deer. Made me sick to watch. Are we still human’s in this world?

3. After seeing the video, I am sickened. The adolescents of today need to stop and take a step back to see how worthless it is to put someone else down. She volunteered to be there, to help them out, and 4 of them turned on her like a wild pack of Hyenas.

I hope those kids get what they deserve. Taking their cell phone away won’t do the trick this time….

4. […] Bullied Bus Monitor Grandma, Karen Klein, Reacts to Bullying Video (Interviews) […]

5. oopsie913 says:

what is most disheartening is seeing this woman who is clearly not comfortable or skilled with in the use of any kind of behavior management. One would think that the district would give some training since being a monitor means you have to manage students behavior. this is sad, this is pitiful this poor woman, these horrible, nasty kids who obviously are already displaying sociopath behavior. I am not kidding! they have no feelings. They have no heart. These kids are doomed for a life of crime. it is just sad all around. This women is in a job which is way outside her comfort zone. I was uncomfortable watching her reaction the whole time. Why wasnt the driver aware of this?! This makes no sense. Its obviously a daily occurrence!! Awful Bless all of you who gave to this fund. I would like these kids and their families to be held accountable in some way.

• Alyson says:

They DO give training, but obviously this is not anywhere NEAR normal or “standard” behavior that may need to be monitored or handled. You can give all the training in the world and some kids will not respond and do whatever they want anyway. Believe me, as a teacher, there are limits on what you can do or try with kids and no matter what, there will always be some kids who just don’t care what you say or do. There is another article out there that explains protocol for bus drivers, but in this case, she was sitting in the very back of the bus and she never reported it to anyone. The bus driver did not hear what was going on- remember, his job is to drive the bus so that should be his focus anyway. I just hope the parents are mortified and that the kids truly absorb the impact of this lesson, though I highly doubt it.

6. torrezzz says:

This was so crule karen should press charges on thoes children I’m sorry but if I was on of thoes childens parrents I would disown them I would be embarest to be related to them it is so sad

7. robert says:

HOw the hell did she get the bus monitors job in the first place? If she would have been doing her job in the first place, the harassment would have never started or ended up where it did, Shes cant hear cant see come on people. its sad and wrong what happened to her but The school department should be suing her for not doing her job. What if a child on the bus seriously injured another kid. Or something more serious, What could she possible do to stop a serious situation She couldnt even maintane order on verbal insults towards her. Dont blame the kids blame person incharge not doing their job can her ass

• Concerned says:

Here we go again. Don’t blame the children? Why would you blame this woman? She did not teach these children to be bullies. They learned this from lack of home training, T.V. and I’m sure a little peer pressure. Did anyone catch the ring leader on the video encouraging the other kids to taunt her and call her names. Should we not blame him? I am sure that their are not many people applying for bus monitor jobs for this very reason. The pay probably sucks and I Guess that as a monitor you are only allowed to monitor and not allowed to repremand or say anything to these kids for fear of being sued by the parents. If you really want to lay blame, lay it on society as a whole. We have become a country of little or no respect for others. We have no empathy or respect for each other or our elders. These young men should be punished for their actions.

8. […] Sauron’s redeye whilst bending over two inches from my face as I tie my shoes). I would never bully a grandma riding the bus, or leave YouTube comments telling people to go kill themselves. Never […]

9. Jeff says:

IMHO, these 4 kids are sorry that they didn’t end up looking cool by bullying and get the respect from others they thought they deserved for being so cool. They’re sorry they’re getting death threats rather than looking cool. They’re just sorry excuses for human beings.

My guess is that, if they are indeed punished for their actions by the school system, their parent’s lawyers will claim the punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

If I’d have pulled a stunt like this when I was their age …. my parents would’ve kicked my butt from sea to shining sea. All we’ve heard about is the parents making the kids write an apology.

10. […] Bullied Bus Monitor Grandma, Karen Klein, Reacts to Bullying Video (Interviews) […]

11. Will says:

I think what happened is horrible, and I know she didn’t ask for the money but come on no one deserves that much money just for being bullied. Its just crazy what about the millions of kids that get bullied every year and end up committing suicide. I don’t see them or their family getting thousands of dollars or free trips. I feel she’s just as wrong as the kids for excepting that money, if she’s so disturbed by what happened then donate the money to a anti bully foundation to try and prevent things like this happening everyday. If she doesn’t then she in my book just as bad as the kids that picked on her!

12. Blake Amick says:

Will, don’t be jealous because people are giving money to this woman. People believe in the effort to allow her a retirement. In a way, this is a miracle. A lonely old woman, living alone, without enough money to support herself. And who’s to say what she’ll do with the money? How does she look as bad as the kids picking on her? Was she being vile? Crude? Abusive? No. You’re as much an idiot as you are a terrible writer. Stop the jealousy, stop the hate. If you can’t respect an act of brotherhood then you’re part of the problem. Feel free to contact me if you have a problem with anything I have said.

13. What would it take for us to lift the wrongness here. As a society we can come together and support our children in learning love and respect by experiencing it – first. Ms. Klein’s case shows that we have much to work on. Together we can make this difference.
    Pointing fingers serves no one. Love is our answer. We are ONE.
    I see the wonder of how this works each day in working with children.

14. sixty eight says:

THis women is a deaf and disabled, does a man with no fists become a sucsesful boxer, can a blind man drive, can a man with out middle fingers flip you off, no. if this women cant defuse verbal hostile behavior, how did she get this bus monitor job, thats a law suit just waiting to happen. What happens if two kids get in a verbal fight, then it moves up to pushing then fists, one kid dies becsuse she cant do her job. She shouldnt have this job, or and job that has to do with security etc, and it pisses me off every day when senior citzens have jobs they cant do. I know for a fact that this women can be sued

15. amber says:

You know this makes me so sick! really i know they are only kids. but this is wrong this makes me want to teach my girls to never pick on anyone to respect and realize its not right to hurt others. Im glad i have respect i nver picked anyone and never will i knw whats its like to be hurt like that. at any age it sucks to be picked on.

16. amber says:

And to the kids that have done this. One day you well learn and regret what you have done. you need to learn Respect and need a butt busting. even if you are in middle school your never to old to get your butt spanked. these kids are so ignorant they should be ashamed. and there parents should be to.

17. amber says:

And to parents we need to be teaching our children right from wrong. and also living what we teach our kids. reap what you sew!! and there needs to be better laws for bullying. We cant just let this happen anymore!! for god sake children have killed themselfs because of being bullyied.and im sure adults to. this has to end and end now better education on this at schools. to let kids knw what it really does to people. and to ms klain keep you head up!

18. MRS KLEIN, WHEN I SAW THIS VIDEO I CRIED ALL I CAN THINK OF WAS MY MOTHER AND GRAND MOTHER’S WHICH I DON’T HAVE THEM ANYMORE, KAREN SWEETIE PLEASE TAKE ALL THE DONATIONS AND RETIRE, ENJOY YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR GOOD FRIENDS YOU SO DESERVE THIS, PLEASE ENJOY LIFE AND I PRAY THAT YOU NEVER EVER GET BULLIED AGAIN, I AM SO SO SORRY THAT THIS HAPPEN TO YOU IT SHOULDN’T HAPPEN TO ANYONE, GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY NOW AND ALWAYS MANY HUGS FROM MY FAMILY, ANNETTE ROSADO