Published On: Tue, Jul 17th, 2012

“Mermaids: The Body Found” Continues to Puzzle if Mermaids Do Exist (Photo and Video)

The documentary “Mermaids: The Body Found” was re-aired on Discovery Channel last Sunday, July 15, 2012, confusing more people if mermaids indeed really exist.

In describing the show, Discovery says, “What if there’s a kernel of truth behind the legend of this mythic creature? Is the idea of mermaids really so far-fetched? Maybe so, maybe not. The show itself, though science fiction, is based on some real events and scientific theory.”

In the program, two former National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) scientists, after investigating mass stranding of whales in 2007, claimed to have recorded mysterious underwater noises coming from an unknown source. This sound resembled a sound previously recorded in 1997, called the “bloop”.

Mermaids The Body Found

In studying “bloop”, they recognized the sound of another animal mixed in with the sounds of the whales and dolphins. After more closely inspecting it, they discovered that an unknown creature was communicating with them.

Mermaid Body Found on South Africa Shore

Later on, there was another mass beaching in South Africa. The researchers in South Africa had recorded similar sounds on their own devices. The team traveled there to investigate.

They then recovered 30% of the remains of this unknown creature from inside a great white shark stomach which was said to possess attributes of the human body. They alleged that the marine creature had hands, not fins, and the hip structure of an upright animal. These findings, along with many others led the team to determine that this unknown animal was very closely related to humans — a mermaid.

Unfortunately, the US government confiscated the remains and their research as the team was about to return to the United States. The only thing that they had left was the bloop. The team tracked down one of two boys that had reportedly seen a mermaid body on the beach the morning of the first mass whale beaching. He said that he captured the mermaid on his camera phone.

Mermaid Skeletons Found in Egypt and Bulgaria Are Fake

In line with the curiosity of people if mermaids do really exist, two pictures of mermaid skeletons surfaced in the internet which became viral.

The first one, labeled as ‘mermaid skeleton found in Bulgaria’ is a fake one and is just a combination of three different images combined using a photo manipulation software.

The mermaid skeleton is actually the “Mermaid Skeleton Found!” art by the1calledDAN, 6th place entry in Archaeological Anomalies 13 – Amazing archaeological discoveries! from Worth 1000, an image manipulation and contest website.

Mermaid Skeleton Found in Bulgaria

(Left) Human skeleton where mermaid skeleton was derived (right)

Another mermaid skeleton photo allegedly found in Egypt also became viral. However, just like the picture above, the said photo below is fake which came from worth1000.com who won the 3rd entry in Archaeological Anomalies 3.

Mermaid Skeleton Found in Egypt

Real Mermaid Caught in Camera in Israel?

In addition, mermaid videos proliferated in YouTube trying to prove the existence of mermaids. The video below was believed to be a real mermaid caught in camera in Kiryat Yam, Israel.

One of the first people to see the mermaid, Shlomo Cohen, said, “I was with friends when suddenly we saw a woman laying on the sand in a weird way. At first I thought she was just another sunbather, but when we approached she jumped into the water and disappeared. We were all in shock because we saw she had a tail.”

You’d be the judge. Watch the video below and see if this is a real mermaid or not.

Mermaids Don’t Exist, NOAA Says

When it first aired on the Animal Planet in May, “Mermaids: The Body Found” prompted the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to release a statement denying the existence of mermaids after receiving calls from viewers who confused the information on the show as facts and wanted to learn more about the creatures.

“Half-human creatures, called chimeras, also abound in mythology — in addition to mermaids, there were wise centaurs, wild satyrs, and frightful minotaurs, to name but a few. But are mermaids real? No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found.,” a statement reads at NOAA’s official website NOAA.gov.

About the Author

- is an Interaction Designer with over 12 years experience building and designing websites, games and applications for clients ranging from small startups to multi-billion dollar companies. He's now a co-founder of several start-ups yet to be known in the world of social media.

This article is filed under:

, , , , ,

Displaying 17 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. Some 1 says:

Some people are dumb. But some are smart, I’m 21 and not crazy I got a friend that lives in the ocean, and she told me they hide because they know they will become a human experiment. There something different from us, but if you ever met 1, ud never be the same again. I nilly drowned out in sea, and instead of dieing she saved me. And all they ask is to be kept a secret and to leave them be. I’m not mad I have movies and photos on my fone. But what’s mine for me to keep so no 1 can ever harm Cintoo the mermaid
    I have the proof here but no law or any 1 will get what I see.

2. Wtf is wrong with the NOAA?!?! They exist you just don’t want to admit it

3. Louisa says:

I believe that mermaids do exist inthis world somewhere..Are mermaids same as Sirens?

4. Maurício says:

If the research team found hands and hips attached to a marine body, then their it´s very much possible that mermaids exist. Why did they confiscate the body?

5. jumbly says:

So, I guess the footage shot at the bottom of the Norwegian Sea is fake also? I don’t think so.

6. Andrei says:

Needless to say I am stunned
    Watching the discovery documentary Mermaid the body found. The reason for me writing this is once again humans embarked in something they have some idea about and as usual stumbled onto something we have no idea about. The sonar testing that was done mmmmmm well there results were evident now trying the best to cover up there blunders. When????? Will we learn not to fiddle with things we know nothing about? As for the mermaids there is a lot we do not know about our own planet as the human species we have become our own worst enemy as we will be the end of ourselves.
    As for the American and South African governments. This is the people we voted into place. These are the people that hide lie and decide what we are about. Our so called leaders.
    Do I believe in mermaids? Hell yes but will we be humane enough not to prod and poke. Doing unto others that we do not want to be done to us. Look at what we do to wales, dolphins etc. Shocking but true.

7. this is fake says:

this is fake no mermaids and like these have exist in the world

8. Tiffany says:

If you look at the two photos side by side you’ll notice the rocks are only on the one of the human to me the feet look weird. Plus the one with the tail their is no rock indintation on the ground to suggest they moved them to me the human picture looks fake.

9. Tiffany says:

PS if you zoom in you can see the human skull has two holes in the side of the face the one on the right only has one plus the one on the right looks like it has two holes on top of the pelvic bone where it connects to the spine I’m no forensicanthropologist but that’s what I see its not the same person.

10. Viper says:

I’m 22 years old and I know “mermaids” are real.
    Obviously not the stereotypical kind of mermaid (such as Ariel and stuff), so I`ll just call them Homo Pisces (which would be part human part fish in Latin).
    NOAA is lying to us, and it’s not really the first time, but I’ve seen them, the Homo Pisces, and they just live like any other aquatic being so why not leave them alone?

11. Viper says:

I say leave them alone.
    They never did anything to us and we don’t deserve to have communication with them.
    Look at what humans do to animals! It would be a chaos if they went to the ocean looking for the “mermaids” (or as I said, Homo Pisces)

12. Felicia says:

Ever since I was little I’ve believed. With all my heart.
    They are out there. Somewhere and somehow.
    Why must they question it so much? Why must they search for so much proof , when all they say is that they are fake? What the hell is wrong with NOAA? They have proof , they have the footage , and the pictures.
    Why can’t they let it be now?
    Years down the line so,some will actually find one , and turn it in to the NOAA , and all they will do is make it into a science experiment, and hurt it even more.
    So why bother .

13. Ariana says:

People are not under standing that the more you search them up and find them the more they will notice that they are under attack . When I was a little girl I believed I saw a mermaid and a merman and it was amazing and since that day I have still believed in them but not once thought of capturing them and taking them away from there family …. They’re just like us ,we have a family and we wouldn’t want anyone to take us away and kill or hurt us . Even if you bring them back ,yeah they’re gonna be happy but then they’re worried and nobody likes to be worried all the time ….so knock it the hell off NOAA or you will regret it when karma hits you and that exact thing that you did to them will happen to you but it’ll be worse and I’m only twelve and I’m getting a lil angry and disappointed with the NOAA and any others who want to be disrespectful, discriminating , bias, and harmful to this species that has been in existence longer than we have , and has not harmed us in any shape , or form.
    Grow a pair and be an adult in this situation, and actually think before you act or say anything.. Make a diff

14. Ariana says:

People are not understanding that the more you search them nor find there dead body’s they notice they are under attack .when I was a lil girl I believed I saw a mermaid and merman and it was amazing ,but I never once thought of capturing them or hurting them .
    They have family’s too just like us and when you take them away or apart it is wrong even if you bring them back ,yes they will be happy but they will be worried and nobody wants or needs to be worried .so NOAA needs to knock the hell of or they will regret it because karma will hit them and everyone who is that disrespectful,bias and discriminating will get everything that they did to it but worse .i am only twelve years old and it’s making me disappointed and angry that people are being childish and wrong .grow up and be the better person .Be the AWESOME role model not a bad influence …. Make a difference and be happy with what you’ve got because not every one or any creature nor animal has a lot some hardly have clothes or food . Come on people I know some where in your heart it’s telling you to stop doing it …my fifth grade teacher missy sing ,Lansing and at the school Lansing charter academy she always would encourage me to do my best and put it to the test also to trust my gut and I did that and now I’m in sixth grade and I’m at a twelve grade level in math,science,and reading(ela).so I have decided to encourage others to make a difference .

15. Jennifer says:

I believe whole heartedly they exist. Leave them alone! There are REAL encounters in which they have saved a humans life. Look at the footage from the Navy where they kept the poor thing in a tank until it died a few years later. Messed up… Why as humans can’t another species coincide with us?

16. Reannariddle says:

2 Facts:
    We have only explored a very small portion of the oceans.
    The planet has been around for trillions of years.
    Perhaps mermaids of a sort did exist once, as an early offshoot of human evolution, but died out, remains of which lost at sea and decayed. We readily accept that most animals have variation, past and present, due to evolution. Why is it so hard to believe humans have an aquatic ancestor?